In 2004, the world was introduced to a platform that would forever change how we receive global news, communicate with friends, promote business, shop products and generally spend our "free time" ... it was called thefacebook.com then, but now its simply 'Facebook.'
The list is seemingly limitless on how social media has and will continue to change the world. Since Facebook's creation at Harvard University in 2004, other social media platforms have spawned; some have flopped, some have found the same success as Facebook. Arguably, the most successful has been the photo sharing app, Instagram.
Instagram hit the social media world by storm in 2010. Instagram's biggest draw was that it allowed anyone with a camera to become their own "photographer"... users could apply a filter to their pictures and make it look artistic and fun in a few simple steps. Since it's creation in 2010, the app has grown into a multi-faceted platform that allows you to message, follow, like, send stories, etc. As is with any other technology platform, your success is driven by your ability to evolve and offer users "the next best thing".
Revolution Performance Fabrics has a Facebook business page and an Instagram page. As our brand awareness has grown from overall marketing and advertising, our social media following has significantly increased. Currently, we have close to 700 followers on Facebook and over 2,000 followers on Instagram.
Our favorite and most engaging Facebook posts are typically videos and photos of completed Revolution projects that our customers have been kind enough to share with us. Since Instagram is primarily meant for sharing photos, we often post or re-post photos of Revolution fabrics or completed projects. The best is when our customers post Revolution on their page and we can re-post it!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @REVOLUTIONPERFORMANCEFABRICS!
Since there are 2.07 billion active users on Facebook and/or Instagram daily, it is safe to assume that if you are reading this blog you have an account on at least one of the two platforms. Here are some interesting facts about the social media sites you likely use every single day:
- There are 1.15 billion mobile daily active users, an increase of 23 percent year-over-year
- Age 25 to 34, at 29.7% of users, is the most common age demographic
- Five new profiles are created every second
- Facebook users are 76% female (out of 100% of all females) and 66% male (out of 100% of all males)
- There are 83 million fake profiles
- Photo uploads total 300 million per day
- Average time spent per Facebook visit is 20 minutes
- Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded
- 42% of marketers report that Facebook is critical or important to their business
- Instagram has over 500 million active monthly users
- Instagram users have shared over 40 billion photos to date and share an average of 95 million photos and videos per day
- 80% of Instagram users come from outside of the U.S.
- Instagram is used by 31% of American women and 24% of men
- Instagram users “like” 4.2 billion posts per day
- Instagram is used by 48.8%of brands—a number that is expected to rise to 70.7% by 2017
- Top brands post 4.9 times per week on Instagram, an increase of more than 50% over 2015
- 75% of Instagram users take action, such as visiting a website, after looking at an Instagram advertising post
Below: Some of our favorite 2017 Instagram photos!
Below: Some of our favorite Facebook posts of 2017!